Monday, October 31, 2011

Instructional Decisions/Teaching

During the implementation process, I began by asking the students what they thought surveys are used for and why people might use them. Then, I provided the students with insight on what we would be learning in math that day and the types of technologies we would use to help supplement their math skills. Afterwards, I taught the students the importance of surveys, explained why bar graphs are useful when displaying data, and showed the students what a survey and bar graph looks like. Next, I modeled the content by having the students help me create a sample survey, create random data, and then create a bar graph to demonstrate the process of collecting and organizing data. Then, I wrote random data on the Smartboard and had the students work together to transfer the data onto a bar graph that they were allowed to create on the Smartboard with the writing pens. By doing this, I was able to asses if the students remembered to include appropriate scales on the axis and label their bars. Finally, I had the students construct their own surveys on any computer program that they preferred to use. After they finished constructing their survey, I had the students survey their classmates and organize the data into a bar graph on the Kidspiration program. As the students were constructing their surveys, surveying their classmates, and creating their bar graphs, I walked around the room to ensure that every student was comprehending the math concepts.

From this process, I learned that I need to practice using the Smartboard because I seemed to have issues tapping the board hard enough so that it would process my commands. I think that my lack of proficiency with the Smartboard and the amount of time I spent trying to figure it out distracted my students from thinking about math. Therefore, next time I plan to ensure smooth transitions and confidence in my use of technology by practicing how to be more efficient with the Smartboard.

The alignment of the implementation process to my goals and objectives was maintained by following the structure of my lesson plan so that my students had plenty of practice understanding the basics of a survey (including design and how to organize the data they receive) and what a bar graph looks like and how to create one of their own. By the time I was finished with my input, modeling, checking their understanding, and the guided practice, the students seemed confident with creating their own survey and bar graph. When I looked at the work they completed, I saw that they understood these concepts, which was my goal and objective for the lesson.

The only modification that I made for a student was to spend more time displaying examples of survey formats and how they could be beneficial when gaining different types of information. The student seemed a little confused, so I made sure she understood by having her help me create a survey question. Afterwards, I asked her how she could fix the survey question so that there would not be too many variables. She decided it would be best to give four choices so that the data would be easier to display and organize. By asking the student these questions, I knew it would help her think more critically, which would then help her better understand how to effectively construct a survey. By looking at the work she created, I knew that this modification had worked to her benefit.

1 comment:

  1. I am happy to see that you have a clear understanding of the importance of preparation when getting ready to each. For many, they think that just because they know the content, they are ready. As you know, this is not the case. Take what you learned from it, and build on your understandings for future lessons.

    ReplyDelete