Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Lesson 2, Assessment of Learning

The evidence that supports student success in achieving the lesson goals is the fact that the students were able to label most of the states on a blank United States map. They were also able to select a state and begin researching facts about it for their brochure. Just by looking at what the students finished, I was able to see that they could pick out facts that they thought were important and/or interesting and make them short and concise for an easy-read. I was also able to see their creativity (with pictures) and organization (headings for each panel) within the brochures. With all of this information, it was evident that they could effectively use technology to support their assignment.

I thought that my lesson was successful for the most part, given the amount of time I had. After teaching the lesson, I realized that instead of having a lesson that extends over two days, it should have extended over three days. This is because I felt rushed teaching the lesson and did not feel that I went over the location of the states as thoroughly as I should have if I were actually teaching fifth graders and because my students did not have enough time to complete their assignment. Some of the comments from my classmates were that they needed more time on the brochures, I should have offered different ways to make a brochure, more prior knowledge about the states could have been shared by the students, and I could have broke down the states into more manageable groups. I completely agree with these constructive criticisms and know that I could have done much better making time for these different areas if I had extended the lesson over a third day. I think that I may have rushed the lesson, which could negatively affect students in an actual classroom. Therefore, in the future, I will continue to make thorough lesson plans, but I will also plan to leave an extra day open in case the lessons need more explanation or students need more time to display their best efforts on an assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment